Chalmers Institute is Now Available for Tours!

NOW OPEN FOR TOURS!!

 SW corner
Chalmers Institute (1837/1857) – 151 S. West Boundary Street
This two-story brick building, built in the Federal style, was Mississippi’s first legislatively recognized University. Within its walls countless leaders, writers, educators and citizens received the educational foundations that would help shape their lives, careers and the region’s history in civic and political arenas, as well as upon fields of battle. It was expanded to the east in 1857, adding military cadet training to its curriculum and sending many of its faculty and alumni to fight for the Confederacy. Its enrollment continued actively through the Civil War and up until 1879, when it became yet another casualty of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878.
Call (662) 252-3669 to schedule a tour.
About

Preserve Marshall County & Holly Springs, Inc. (501c3) formed in 2005 with the hope of bringing historic preservation advocacy and educational outreach to the community. As one of our inaugural undertakings we acquired Chalmers Institute and are currently working to not only pay off the bank note on the property but to stabilize and eventually rehabilitate Chalmers Institute into regional resource once more. Constructed in 1837, Chalmers Institute, was Mississippi’s first legislatively recognized University. Within these walls countless leaders, writers, educators, and citizens received the educational foundations that would help to shape their lives, careers, and region’s history. Its enrollment actively continued until 1879 when it became another casualty of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878. This proud structure entered its second life as residence until the 1980s. It now awaits its third life as a contributing member of the community with your help.

Posted in History, Preservation