NOW OPEN FOR TOURS!!
Chalmers Institute (1837/1857) – 151 S. West Boundary Street
This two-story brick building, built in the Federal style, was Mississippi’s first legislatively recognized University. Within its walls countless leaders, writers, educators and citizens received the educational foundations that would help shape their lives, careers and the region’s history in civic and political arenas, as well as upon fields of battle. It was expanded to the east in 1857, adding military cadet training to its curriculum and sending many of its faculty and alumni to fight for the Confederacy. Its enrollment continued actively through the Civil War and up until 1879, when it became yet another casualty of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878.
Call (662) 252-3669 to schedule a tour.